The valley townships offer truly quaint main streets, complete with tearooms serving scones, perfect planter boxes bursting with seasonal blooms, and fascinating, ingenious and sometimes bizarre street art. That’s in addition to the classic country pubs, where the local characters meet, and plenty of charming antique stores.
Between towns, winding country roads crisscross green hills and stands of ancient jarrah forest to sidle up against the beautiful Blackwood River – the ribbon tying the patchwork region together.
The Blackwood River is the longest continually flowing river in Western Australia, at 270km long.
- Pack a picnic overflowing with local olives and cheeses, and a bottle of the region’s best, and throw the rug down beside the tranquil Blackwood River.
- Drive the art trail rthough the region’s towns, and pick up a unique treasure.
- Don the walking boots and take a hike through native forests along the Bibbulmun Track.
- Saddle up, and prepare for adventure with a ride on a part of the renowned Munda Biddi mountain bike trail.
- See the blazing colours of thousands of tulips, or immerse yourself in a sea of purple with a visit to the lavender farms in Balingup and Nannup.
- Paddle a canoe along the Blackwood River.
- Get away from it all and enjoy a weekend in a secluded cottage, or take in the ambience at a bed and breakfast.
- Wander at your leisure through the arboretum at the Golden Valley Tree Park.
- Take a seat at one of the many quaint tearooms for some jam scones or a ploughman’s lunch.
- Stop in at one of the charming local pubs for an authentic Aussie experience.