A stunning coastline, rugged scrub and powder-blue skies cause an endless yearning to escape the daily grind. Thankfully, you won’t need to traverse too far from the city to find one of Western Australia’s most beautiful regions. Given the waterways of the Peel-Harvey Estuary are twice the size of Sydney Harbour, it’s understandable why many venture no further than Mandurah’s shoreline, dotted with eateries ideally positioned for spotting frolicking dolphins.
Mother Nature continues to delight further inland, where 5000 species of native plants and wildlife, waterfalls, forests, rivers and thousands-of-years-old living fossils thrive.
Thrilling year-round adventures include world-class off-road cycling, 4WDing, bushwalking, kayaking, camping, whitewater rafting, surfing, jet-skiing, abseiling and horse-riding.
The land is bountiful in produce, showcased at wineries, markets, cafes and outstanding restaurants throughout the area.
- Hit the Peel-Harvey Estuary: it’s teeming with playful dolphins, boating enthusiasts, fishermen and crabbers.
- Fish ‘n’ chips taste better by the water. Grab some along Mandurah’s popular foreshore precinct.
- Take a leisurely houseboat trip up the Murray River.
- Have a sandy 4WD adventure at Tims Thicket, Preston and White Hills beaches.
- Marvel at the largest reef of thrombolites in the southern hemisphere at Lake Clifton.
- Travel by horseback through scenic forest, on Jarrahdale’s bridle tracks.
- Explore Hotham Valley, renowned for its stunning Lane Poole Reserve, Bibbulmun Track, cycle trails, Hotham Valley Railway, and historic towns like Pinjarra and Dwellingup.
- Glide along Mandurah’s foreshore on an eco-friendly Ninebot (Segway).
- Follow the City Art Trail or Marina Trail starting at the Mandurah Visitor Centre, or catch some local, national and international talent at the Mandurah Performing Arts Centre.
- Tee off at The Cut, one of WA’s most prestigious and picturesque golf courses. Sculpted into the dunes, the stunning links layout features 14 holes with oceanfront views every golfer will admire.